Many projects require permits. So, if in doubt about whether the project you intend to undertake will require a permit, please call the Village of Black River Codes Department at 315-773-5721. A stop work order will be issued to any job started without a building permit and subject to a thorough inspection.
What can I do without a permit?
- Make ordinary repairs with like or similar material to restore original conditions that do not affect structural features or involve the installation or extension of electrical or plumbing systems.
- Install sidewalks or grade level patios (without a roof) on private property
- Repair roofing shingles or siding
- Repair a fence
- Replace gutters or downspouts
- Replace plumbing fixtures such as a toilet or sink, or replace a hot water heater
- Install windows or doors in existing openings without structural alteration
- Install gas appliances that are not required to be vented, such as dryers and stoves
- Repair existing gas appliances
- Add insulation
- Construct an accessory building, less than 144 sq. ft. (shed or other structures detached from the principle bldg.)
- Install a pool with a maximum water depth of less than 24 inches
- Construct a house or building
- Add or make structural alterations to a building
- Install a fence
- Construct or replace a deck
- Install or replace a pool, spa, or hot tub
- Kitchen or bath remodels
- Install roofing materials
- Build or enclose a porch
- Construct an accessory building, 144 sq. ft. or larger (shed or other structures detached from the principle bldg.)
- Convert garage, attic, or basement to useable space, such as a recreation room
- Install a pool with a maximum water depth 24 inches or greater
- Install new, or extend existing plumbing
- Alter or extend the electric system
- Demolish any building interior or building section, except utility sheds
- Repair structures damaged by fire
- Install or replace any wood burning appliance (e.g. woodstove, fireplace, etc.)
- Install or replace furnace or boiler
- Install a chimney liner or repair chimney
- Erect any sign
- Install a septic tank
- Drill a well
- Add fill, excavate or change existing drainage
- Move any building
What do you need to apply for a building permit?
- A completed building permit application
- A complete set of plans showing structural details, mechanical and sewer connection layout, electrical, plumbing, and any other information that may be needed top make a determination that the project meets village codes.
- If the work is exterior, a plot plan showing property lines, lot size, and distances to the project.
- Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance or Exemption form. Only Forms CE-200, U-26.3, C-105.2, and SI-12 are accepted. Accord forms are not valid proof of workers compensation.
- If work requires any digging, you must contact Dig Safely NY at 811 or https://www.digsafelynewyork.com/ , prior to application approval.
Permits may take up to 30 days for approval. Never expect that your permit will be approved in less than 5 business days.